"Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity, it is an act of justice" Nelson Mandela at the Live 8 concert July 2005

"Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that great generation" Nelson Mandela

Dream Xtreme!

Saturday, May 30

The Inconvenient Truth? - Part 3


This blog has been a quest and a journey for me to discover more about Extreme Poverty and find ways that I can make a difference. The more I read and understand, the more I am becoming passionate about the environment. To be honest my usual response to environmental issues in the past has been, "who cares!".... Well maybe not quite who cares, but you know what I mean......so I guess my attitude has changed quite a bit. One thing I do know is that we can make a huge difference if we all do small things, like looking after the environment, sponsoring children (I have 2 at the moment, thinking of getting another) and speaking out against extreme poverty just to name a few.


Disappearing Forests

The forest that get all the press are the rainforest's - the lush, tropical forests of the Amazon, equatorial Africa and South East Asia. Rainforest's are home to over two-thirds of all species on the planet. There are many different kinds of forests. They all help regulate the earth's temperature and are home to more plant and animal species than any other ecosystem.
.


About 45 % of all earth's original forests are gone, mostly cleared during the last century. Invasive species damage the health of the forests, and drier conditions associated with global warming and the resultant fires damage them beyond repair. The destruction of these forests releases immense stores of carbon into the atmosphere - every hectare stores about 500 tonnes of carbon, which the forest would normally convert into oxygen.
.

The Indigenous people in those forests join the world's poor at the back of the queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This blog is a little bit about me and mostly about being LOUD about making poverty history! I've got an awesome wife NAOMI(The cre8ive one). 3 kids - SAM 9(The brain),REUBEN 8(Playstation addict and Computer wiz) and Carissa 5(The Princess).