"Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity, it is an act of justice" Nelson Mandela at the Live 8 concert July 2005

"Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that great generation" Nelson Mandela

Dream Xtreme!

Saturday, May 23

The Inconvenient Truth? - Part 1



Well.... this is not something that I intended on writing about on my blog, it's not something that I really thought was connected or relevant. But the more I read, the more I understand that the environment has such a huge impact on extreme poverty.


You can't turn on the TV or open the newspaper without hearing about freak storms, record temperatures, prolonged drought, disastrous floods(I'm surrounded by one now, not here but close by) and other wacky weather. Now most scientists, we are told believe these events are related, and they're caused by changes to the earth's climate. Whats more, it is believed human activity is driving the changes. These changes are called global warming, climate change or climate chaos.


The first people in the firing line as a result of rising sea levels, reduced rainfall and global food shortages are the worlds poor. Many of them already live in marginal environments - the flood plains of Bangladesh or the grazing lands that fringe the Sahara Desert, to name two. These places will be directly affected by global warming. However indirect effects of global warming will include rising food prices, migration and significant economic change.

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog, by pressing "next blog" and I was quickly captured by the picture at the top.. I think it's good issues that you write about, which is why, I have decided to follow you :)

    Now, to this entry, you've made, I like your thoughts about this.. Though I believe some of the scientists are wrong about human activity to have full responsibility for Global Warming..
    The Earth has had more time under ice (or Ice ages), than the climate we have now, also just before each Ice Age there has been a Major rise in temperature..
    The fundamental cause for this is the elliptical course the Earth has around the Sun..

    That said, we of course need to be more concerned about CO2, Poverty, famine..

    That's what I had to say about this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog Pete, i found your blog through facebook friends. love the look of your page, and your subjects. I will be following your posts. Thanx

    ReplyDelete

About Me

This blog is a little bit about me and mostly about being LOUD about making poverty history! I've got an awesome wife NAOMI(The cre8ive one). 3 kids - SAM 9(The brain),REUBEN 8(Playstation addict and Computer wiz) and Carissa 5(The Princess).