"Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity, it is an act of justice" Nelson Mandela at the Live 8 concert July 2005

"Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that great generation" Nelson Mandela

Dream Xtreme!

Tuesday, May 19

Counting Down The Ten Most Exciting Stories of Change....NO - 10

I promised on the weekend that on my blog I would be writing about the ten most exciting stories of change. Each Monday or Tuesday or even Wednesday or whenever I get around to it I'm going to be counting down the most exciting stories. Stories like these are what I am most passionate about because it proves that what we do can make a difference
.
Did you know that over 2 billion people live on less than US$2 a day?
over 1 billion people on our planet live on less than US$1 a day?
and almost 1 million people die every year because of poverty?
.
Addressing problems on this scale is scary and overwhelming!
.
Excuse me for sounding corny, but I believe that if we all become contributors we can all make a difference together.
.
....10.... Millennium Development goals
The best news of all is that the world has a plan, the know-how and the money to end world poverty. The plan is know as the Millennium Development goals, and it aims to halve extreme poverty by 2015.
.
The goals include things like providing health services to pregnant women, ensuring environmental sustainability and sending children to school.
.
This short clip explains the 8 goals beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

This blog is a little bit about me and mostly about being LOUD about making poverty history! I've got an awesome wife NAOMI(The cre8ive one). 3 kids - SAM 9(The brain),REUBEN 8(Playstation addict and Computer wiz) and Carissa 5(The Princess).